Lighthearted learning particpant-centered workshops, webinars, online training, plenaries and keynote presentations employ active learning and collaborative learning strategies. Each of the ready-made workshops and Webinar sessions is customized, based on participants' needs assessment surveys and/or interviews with program leaders.
Workshops offered in the 2018 - 2019 school year include
Rigor, Relevance & Respect-Right from the Start: Instructional strategies and tasks that support English language learners' 21st century needs.
English Language On Ramps to Career Pathways: Contextualizing English language instruction as part of ESL classes, Integrated Education and Training, Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education, and/or Family Literacy.
The Mysteries of Rubrics Revealed: Employing formative assessment tools (rubrics, checklists, learning logs, etc.) to increase learner autonomy, self monitoring and growth mindset.
Complex Visuals Today - Complex Text Tomorrow: Making the connection between visual thinking skills, English language proficiency, and college career and civic readiness.
For more information and fee rates on these new workshops, the workshops listed below, or to discuss a custom topic, please contact me.
Each of the workshops below includes an overview of the theoretical information associated with the workshop topic, technique demonstrations, processing activities and application tasks. Click on the + to see the objectives associated with each workshop.
Mastering the Magic and Madness of the Multi-Level Classroom+
- Mastering the Magic and Madness of the Multi-Level Classroom
- Differentiating Presentation in the Multilevel Class
- Working with Cross- and Like-ability Practice Activities
Strategies for Sanity and Success in the Learner-Centered Classroom+
- Managing Learner-centered learning Environments
- Identifying Learner -centered Presentation Strategies
- Analyzing practice tasks for the learner-centered environment
Grappling with the Group Dynamic+
- Exploring the Elements of Cooperative Learning
- Developing Cooperative skill objectives
- Framing Grouping techniques and group tasks
More than “Wh-”: The Art of Asking Questions in the ESOL Classroom+
- Applying the Revised Taxonomy of the Cognitive Domain to Classroom Questions
- Working with Early Production, Focusing and Processing Questions to Check Comprehension
- Building Learners' Questioning Skills
A Lexical Feast: Vocabulary Learning Strategies for All +
- Working with Vocabulary Learning Strategies (VLS)
- Developing vocabulary lessons
- Incorporating VLS in integrated lessons
Show me! An Objective Approach to Lesson Planning+
- Examining effective practices in lesson staging
- Correlating Needs, Objectives and Assessments
- Working with Textbooks
Huh? Listening and Clarifying in an Unclear World+
- Correlating First and Second Language listening strategies
- Developing Authentic Listening Tasks
- Using Student-to-student listening tasks to build clarification strategies
Each of the Webinars below runs between 45 and 60 minutes and includes a brief introduction to the research associated with the Webinar topic, demonstrations, application suggestions, and a question and answer session. Click on the + to reveal the background theory, demonstration and application tasks for each session.
Picturing Success in the Multilevel Classroom+
- Background: What role do visuals play in ML classroom?
- Demonstration: Using language experience activities in ML settings
- Application: Using visuals to help learners increase their accuracy and fluency
Write About Now+
- Background: Why work with writing skill development across levels?
- Demonstration: Writing tasks that are easily integrated into any class
- Application: Providing tasks and feedback to improve learners' writing
The Joy of Task-based Instruction+
- Background: What is TBI and how does it benefit our learners?
- Demonstration: Looking at a TBI lesson- the benefits and the challenges
- Application: Developing tasks for the TBI classroom
Communicate, Cooperate, Cope!+
- Background: Why are cooperative skills essential in the ESOL class?
- Demonstration: Teaching cooperative skills
- Application: Managing tasks that incorporate cooperative skill development
Five Fun Tasks that Build Learners' Accuracy+
- Background: How does interactive practice build grammatical accuracy?
- Demonstration: Dictocomp, Peer Dictation, Grid Games, Mark My Words & Sentence Maker
- Application: Differentiating grammar practice in the ML classroom
Signs of the Times: Real Life Reading Tasks in the Workplace+
- Background: How can we provide instruction in non-prose reading?
- Demonstration: What are the steps in non-prose reading?
- Application: Working with forms, graphs, infographics and more
ONLINE COURSES, WORKSHOPS AND WEBINARS - FACILITATED FOR OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
Please click on the links to each organization to learn more about the professional development each offers.
TESOL Core Certificate Program
Curently teaching: Teaching and Assessing the Adult Learner
Scheduled for 2013: Using Picture Dictionaries in the Multilevel ESL Classroom
Currently facilitating: Using Questioning Strategies to Improve Instruction